It’s a New Year and a new Heavy Metal Overlord (not, like, an actual new Heavy Metal Overlord… I’ve not been usurped or anything) and I’m going to start 2013 with a challenge!
One of my goals when I started HMO was to be more particular about the music I buy. To an extent, this has been fairly successful! 2012 was a great year in my ears. I spent slightly less money than usual and concentrated my spending on the purchases that excited me the most!
But there’s always room for improvement. In 2012 I kept track of EVERY album I bought and how much I was spending. In light of this information, I’ve decided to revamp my How Tempting posts, my Buying Round-Ups and set myself a goal.
Based on 2012’s spending I’m going to be setting myself a monthly budget. It will be, at the most, 50% of what I spent that month in 2012 – less if the previous year’s spending was totally off the hook!
I’ll kick off each month with a How Tempting post. I’ll disclose my monthly budget and evaluate the merits of any music that’s tempting me at that point. At the end of the month a Buying Round-Up will announce my purchases and disclose my spending. As usual, there will be running totals a-go-go.
I’d love you all to chip in. Let me know what you think I should be buying, let me know if there is anything out there I might have missed and let me know if the stuff I’ve bought sucks. And please let me know if you have set yourself any music-related challenges for 2013. We’re in this together!
HMO Challenge Rules:
- The monthly total will include: all CDs, vinyl, downloads and box sets I buy.
- However, only singles that cost me more than £2 will be included. The Single of the Week series continues!
- Music DVDs, but not any other DVDs, will be included.
- No book purchases will be included, even if they are music-related.
- Until an album purchase is disclosed, it will not appear in my Noise-some Notes. To regular readers, these posts may seem shorter than usual.